Sabie to Witklipdam
Mission. Find Witklipdam, inspect water levels & extract via The Wall.
83km 1600m ascent.
– A tough ride in hot windy conditions, I had to reach for an emergency serving of HTFU. As usual, it did the trick.
– Hendriksdal sits top of Sabie, direction Nelspruit. A 400m climb gets one there. I felt a bit sad riding past there, the last time a few years ago I had lunch there and a few weeks later the owners of the restaurant were tragically murdered. I stopped for a moment to appreciate my blessings & privilege to be able to ride my bicycle. Amen.
– Witklipdam is in a stunning setting, its as close to Switzerland as you’ll get and rather unknown to most. The water levels are the lowest I’ve seen them but it does not distract from its beauty. The ride around remains special.
– The escape route up The Wall is a nasty! It used to be a traditional route feature of Sabie Experience and many a rider had near collapse experiences up there. With gradients over 15% and temperatures always like an oven, its a test of character! The photo below shows as it appears on the gps. Time to HTFU and feel sorry that you weren’t a few kilos lighter in weight. Yes, I had to push at one place, blame the sweat burning my eyes 😳.
– The tar road back to Sabie from 12km out is all downhill, sorry, I couldn’t resist, I was pretty buggered and the glide down smooth tar was like pudding.
– My last hilly ride in Sabie this weekend and what a blessing its been. Such a privilege to ride in such a stunning place.
– Thanks for allowing me to share my ride experiences. Now get your bike over here and come make your own special memories!